Sleep is extremely important. It’s something we all need to have, every single night, to ensure we have a healthy lifestyle. You can eat all of the right foods, exercise regularly and drink lots of water, but if you’re not getting enough sleep, it’ll show both on your face, and will affect you on the inside too.
Sleep deprivation can lead to all sorts of problems like weight gain, a lack of focus and concentration, and even memory issues. These are all things you want to avoid if possible. So how do we go about getting enough sleep? There are some helpful tips below that will help you get the best quality sleep, needed for optimum health.
What Causes Insomnia And How To Deal With It
Insomnia is a sleep disorder that is characterised by experiencing difficulty in falling asleep, difficulty staying asleep, or waking up too early, or too often. Insomnia can be caused by several lifestyle factors including stress, anxiety, an overactive mind, and poor quality of sleep.
There are different ways to deal with insomnia, depending on what it is, that’s causing your insomnia. Some people use medication to help them fall asleep or take sleeping pills to deal with insomnia. There are herbal sleep remedies you can try, as well as prescription medication, but that would need to be discussed with your doctor, as they can be addictive.
Other sufferers of insomnia can try sleeping in total darkness, not using technology in the hours before bed, or by replacing their bedding, so their bed is as comfortable as possible. The key in treating insomnia, is identifying what it is that causes your insomnia and dealing with it accordingly.
Best Methods To Fall Asleep Quickly
- 1) Exercise before bedtime – exercising can release hormones that can make you tired and sleepy
- 2) Have a bedtime ritual – many people struggle with insomnia due to their body not being ‘trained’ for when it’s time to sleep
- 3) Take a night time bath – a warm bath before bedtime has been shown to help people sleep better
- 4) Try having a cup of chamomile tea before bed, to help you relax and unwind, so you’re ready to fall asleep quickly and deeply.
- 5) Keep phone use to a minimum before bedtime, as it’ll make it harder to switch off when you come to trying to fall asleep.
- 6) Look into the 4-7-8 breathing technique to help you drift off quickly – it truly works for me!
It can be hard and frustrating to not be able to fall asleep easily, especially when you’re tired, or you have an early alarm to wake you up in the morning. There are many different methods to help you fall asleep, including techniques like the 4-7-8 breathing method. If you try all of these methods, it’s possible you may be able to find one that will work for you, and you’ll be able to fall asleep quickly, and ensure you have good quality, restful sleep.